Sunday, August 13, 2006

Early birds and worms...


We all know that to get the best outing of seeing birds (and doing our survey work) we need to get up early. Ringing is no different and, usually, the start is even earlier. Most ringers like to be on site and ready to catch prior to dawn. Thus I was crawling from my bed at 3.45am yesterday in order to make the trip to my ringing site in Cheshire. The weather hasn't been too good of late so I was expecting a curtailed visit. In the end, of the 54 birds I caught, 48 of them were before 8am; the last six of them over the next 2.5hrs! The picture is of the bird of the day - a juvenile Green Woodpecker - I was hoping for one of the parents as well as it stayed in the vicinty whilst I was ringing and processing its offspring. Other captures were: ten Bullfinches - all but one juveniles, a dozen Greenfinches; with single figures of Blackcap, Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat and Reed Warbler. As would be anticipated this time of year most were juveniles. Also caught three each of Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff - the Willow Warblers in heavy moult as they'll be leaving soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home