Friday, September 22, 2006

GBFS


The GBFS - Garden Bird Feeding Survey, a sort of food subsidized winter Garden Bird-Watch for a selected 250 participants – has just reported its findings for the winter 2005/06. Apparently this winter of was the coldest for a decade (really?) with, nationally, 83 different species of bird turning up to dine at our bird tables.

The top three species – seen in 99% of gardens – were, no surprises, Robin, Blackbird and Blue Tit. A dozen species however reached their all time high levels since the survey began 36 years ago; they were Goldfinch, Wren, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Nuthatch, Bullfinch, Lesser Redpoll, Magpie, Woodpigeon, Carrion Crow, Pheasant, Herring Gull and Sparrowhawk.

An interesting record was of 350 Siskin feeding in one garden; and other gardens visited by Red Kite and Barn Owl. Makes my five species look a bit sick - but I'd rather have my dozen sparrows than one Red Kite anyday.

1 Comments:

Blogger Menzie said...

I'd rather have my dozen sparrows

I envy you. We had one, a female, in the garden a few weeks back. I got really excited about it, it being the first record for a good few years!

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home