Saturday, August 25, 2007

Some 'me' time.

Given the strangely good weather for a bank holiday I took myself off ringing. Visiting one of my sites in Cheshire I arrived while it was still dark to put up five nets and set up one small tape lure. During a morning of six hours I caught 96 birds, 86 of them new and ten retraps from previous years, of fifteen species. Long-tailed tit was the most prolific capture (31) mainly in family parties of 9, 7 and six. Next was Blackcap (18), all juveniles, eight male and six female, with the rest still too young to tell what they were going to be when they grow up! There were sixteen Chiffchaff, interesting as some were in moult requiring a bit more attention, but only one Willow Warbler. There was the usual smattering of tits and finches with a solitary Wren and juvenile Blackbird. Also caught though were singles of Lesser Whitethroat and Garden Warbler, plus a very noisy and aggressive juvenile Great Spotted Woodpecker. Pictures show Chiffchaff, Lesser Whitethroat, Garden Warbler and Great Spotted Woodpecker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home